Back pain is important to avoid. To prevent strain and suffering, remember these helpful tips to avoid back pain:
• Exercise. Always the first mode of defense for a host of ailments, exercise is essential to strengthening back and stomach muscles.
• Lie down correctly. Keep your upper back flat when lying down. Use a pillow under your knees. If you’re lying on your side, put a pillow between your knees. If your back aches, don’t lie on your stomach.
• Move around. Shift your weight when you have to stand for long periods of time.
• Sit properly. Support your lower back when you have to sit for a long time. For example, put a small cushion or rolled towel between your lower back and chair. Keep your feet flat on the floor when you sit.
• Don’t slouch. Stand and sit up straight.
• Take breaks. When you sit or stand or even drive for long periods of time, take a few minutes to walk or stretch.
• Lift with care. Bend your knees whenever you have to lift anything. Let your legs—not your back—do most of the work.